MBCL teacher-training program has two parts: a foundation course and
a certification training module.
Where MBCL is offered
MBCL trainings take place in several countries:
MBCL training is offered in English in Ireland by
MBCL training is offered in English in Norway
Other parts of Europe
MBCL training is also offered on a regular basis in German in Germany, Switzerland and Austria
MBCL Foundation Course (3 days)
The MBCL foundation course provides an intensive introduction to self-compassion and compassion training. Even if you haven’t quite made up your mind yet whether you want to train as an MBCL teacher, you will receive a thorough introduction to MBCL exercises and will learn about the method’s many different uses in medicine, health care and educational contexts, among others.
The foundation course focuses on letting you experience the method and exercises directly. You will be taught the core MBCL exercises and observe through participation how an MBCL teacher leads important exercises, especially mindful inquiry.
Following the foundation course, participants may decide to integrate individual elements of MBCL into their work context as well as in their private practice.
The MBCL foundation course also provides an overview of the scientific basis of compassion and an introduction to its theoretical background in Western and Buddhist psychology.
Written instructions for the mindfulness exercises will be provided so as to be able to continue the practice at home. Audios versions of the exercises are also available for free download from the web site of Routledge, publisher of the founders’ book on MBCL.
Please see or download the packet for the training program you are interested by clicking below:
Requirements for the MBCL Foundation Course
We expect participants to be experienced in mindfulness and its practice. Prior participation in an MBSR, MBCT or MBCL course is also recommended.
You should also be interested in the professional application of compassion training in medicine, mental health, and other educational or social contexts.
The course is not suitable for participants who have no prior experience in mindfulness meditation and for people with acute medical or mental health problems.
MBCL Teacher Certification Training
The MBCL teacher certification training is presented in two formats depending on the country in which it is offered:
- Two modules of one three-day and one four-day workshop
- A seven-day workshop
Learning Objectives of the MBCL Teacher Certification Training
- To experience the main exercises of MBCL in more depth beyond the foundation course level.
- To thoroughly review the content of an MBCL course.
- To have a basic understanding of the scientific foundation of compassion training and its theoretical background in western and Buddhist psychology.
- To review and develop the basic attitudes necessary for working with compassion-focused methods.
- To have an understanding for which clients compassion training can be helpful.
- To deepen the practice of mindfulness and clarify its relationship to compassion.
- To learn how to teach the MBCL curriculum and how to guide MBCL exercises and guided meditations.
- To develop skills in presenting information on compassion to MBCL course participants.
- To deepen skills in leading inquiry during an MBCL course.
Participation Requirements for the MBCL Teacher Certification
If you’re interested in training as a certified teacher for MBCL, the following requirements apply:
- Participation in an 8-week MBCL course, when possible
- Participation in the MBCL Foundation Course
- Qualification as an MBSR/MBCT teacher or equivalent training
At least one year experience in a formal meditation tradition that includes mindfulness meditation or participation in an 8-week MBSR, MBCT or MBCL course and sufficient experience in teaching mindfulness-based exercises.
Should you have questions regarding our requirements, please contact our office.
Upon Completion of the Program
Participants who are certified MBSR or MBCT teachers and can provide the corresponding documentation will receive an “MBCL teacher“ certificate and will be listed as certified MBCL teachers on our institute’s website.
Participants of the teacher-training program without MBSR or MBCT certification will receive a document of participation. They are not fully certified to teach MBCL but may choose to use elements in their work.